Library services: About your students
- Can my students visit/borrow from another library?
A number of national schemes allow reference use or limited borrowing from other libraries for registered staff and students:
UK Libraries Plus – this allows distance, part-time, long-term placement and full time postgraduate students to borrow from participating libraries and allows all registered students reference use of other libraries.
Sconul Research Extra – academic and research staff and research-only postgraduates may register without charge as external borrowers at over 125 higher education institutions.
- My students complain that the library isn’t open long enough .
Opening hours can be discussed at your library user group.
- I’ve got a disabled student, what can the library do to assist?
The library may have a guide to assistance available for disabled students such as photocopying, extended loan periods for books etc. See your subject librarian for help.
- Can the library help me with suspected plagiarism?
The library can assist with identifying sources of suspected plagiarised material but will have to respect confidentiality of borrowing records and comply with the Data Protection Act.
- Can someone show my students how to use electronic resources?
Arrange a user education session with your subject librarian on general or specific resources.
- What services are available to distance learning students?
The library may have a guide on services for distance learning students eg photocopying, access to electronic resources, borrowing privileges, postal loans. See your subject librarian for help.
- My students are complaining that the library’s too noisy, what can I do?
Find out if there are quiet or silent study areas for students to use. Advise students to alert library staff if there are noisy groups in the library.