Careers service: A Careers Fair in Conjunction with the Alumni Department
This project will organise a careers fair in conjunction with the alumni department targeted at English students and involving students from the department in planning and organising the event. Features will include speakers, workshops and a speed networking opportunity. A free booklet will also be produced to accompany the session.
This is one a series of projects. You can read about them all on the main project page.
- A Careers Fair in Conjunction with the Alumni Department (74kb)
- From Smith to Shakespeare: The Essential Career Guide for Students studying English – by Claire Jones (90kb)
Benefits to English students
Students will benefit by:
- Increasing their awareness of the range of careers open to them
- Gaining knowledge of how to enter relevant vocational areas
- Making contacts and networking with people working in relevant areas
- Enhancing their career management skills in relation to marketing and self promotion
Those involved in organising the event would also gain invaluable experience in activities relating to event management
Outline Plan of Activities
A project team will be convened in early October with a view to holding the event at the end of February.
Resources will include marketing costs, refreshments on the day and printing costs for the booklet.
Despite having an embedded career management skills module in our curriculum we are continually looking for new ways to build relationships with our English department.
In addition to this we have organised smaller events in the past that have been very successful.
Careers Advisory Service University of Reading